Accredited MAT Degrees

Masters in teaching programs provide students with the opportunity to teach higher level education. Some programs can be used to seek careers in educational administration as well. Below are several schools with online programs that can help you get free information about each degree.

University of Southern California Students who dream of enrolling in a MA in Teaching or in ESL should consider the online degree programs at the University of Southern California. This program was created by great teachers and is designed to produce great teachers. It strikes a balance between interactive academic coursework and collaborate classroom applications.
Click Here
Kaplan University Students looking for a MA in Teaching or MSHE in College Teaching & Learning should consider the online degree programs at Kaplan University. These programs prepare students to teach diverse learners a broad range of academic content and educational foundational skills. Kaplan University is dedicated to providing rigorous instruction and a stimulating environment.
Click Here
Colorado State University For those searching for a MS in Teaching & Learning should consider the online degree program at Colorado State University. This program prepares students to design and manage their own curriculum. Coursework includes: Instructional Leadership, Assessment of Learning Outcomes, Collaboration & Learning, Teaching & Learning, and Trends & Issues in Instructional Design.
Click Here
Walden University Students looking for a MS in College Teaching & Learning, Teaching English Language Learners, ESL or Teaching Online should consider the online degree programs at Walden University. These programs are designed to help teachers to better meet the unique needs of all the students in their classroom. Students choose from several different specializations.
Click Here
Capella University Students looking for a MS in Special Education Teaching or in English Language Learning & Teaching should consider the degree programs at Capella University. These programs cover courses in applied linguistics, curriculum development, cultural competence, classroom management, and instructional technologies. Students also complete a capstone teaching practicum.
Click Here
Liberty University For those looking for MAT in Elementary, Secondary or Special Education should consider the online degree programs at Liberty University. In these programs, students develop the knowledge base and teaching competencies required for teacher licensure. The program fosters learning experiences that encourage leadership using creativity and research.
Click Here
University of Phoenix Students looking for a MAT in Elementary or Secondary Education should consider the online degree program at the University of Phoenix. This program is designed to prepare you to become a teacher and lead to teaching certification. Students will learn from veteran educators who understand the daily challenges that teachers face today.
Click Here
Ashford University Students who are seeking a MA in Teaching & Learning with Technology should consider the online degree program at Ashford University. This program provides teachers with the technological skills necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of the modern classroom. Students take their courses one at a time for 6 weeks each.
Click Here
University of St. Mary Students looking for a MA in Teaching (MAT) should consider the online degree program at the University of St. Mary. Students will learn about how to meet the needs of students with different learning styles and methods to evaluate and assess learning goals. Faculty members act as mentors after graduation.
Click Here
Grand Canyon University Students looking for a MEd that leads to their initial teacher licensure should consider the online degree programs at Grand Canyon University. These degrees are designed for instructors and trainers at all levels, emphasizing the integration of educational technologies and active learning principles with sound curriculum. Students can choose their concentration in areas like elementary education, secondary education, or special education.
Click Here
Click here to view more Masters of Arts in Teaching degrees

What Doors of Opportunity Can I Open with a Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT)?

According to the United States Department of Labor, the average annual salary for experienced K-12 teachers is around $55,000. However, the average starting salary for teachers with only a bachelor’s degree is around $34,000. Why the difference in salary? Most schools provide what is known as a “degree bonus” for teachers who earn their master’s degree. This bonus can add anywhere from $1,200 to $12,000 to your annual salary. Although some states require their teachers to get a master’s degree after teaching a certain number of years, all states pay teachers with master’s degrees a substantially higher salary than those with only bachelor’s degrees.

In addition to a higher salary, you will also increase your chance for hire and job retention with an MAT degree. Public school employers will always seek and choose the teachers that have the most education and experience, because they believe these teachers will produce better student performance.

In principle, when you earn your MAT degree, your knowledge of the different means of pedagogy and the best methods of learning for individual students should be expanded. This knowledge should be used in your classroom, proving or disproving the effectiveness of the different teaching methods you studied. Taking the initiative to exercise the advanced teaching skills you acquired through your MAT degree will be noticed by your school’s administration and will result in many opportunities for advancement, whether it is position mobility, job security, awards for teaching excellence, or a greater salary increase in addition to your “degree bonus.”

Can I Earn a Master of Arts in Teaching Without Having Any Teaching Credentials?

Absolutely! There are MAT programs out there for both current teachers and those who aspire to become teachers. Some MAT programs only cater to one or the other type of student (certified teacher or not certified) and some cater to both. The only prerequisite for acceptance into an MAT program is a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. However, the coursework for students with no teaching credentials will be a little different than the coursework for students who already have them.

If you apply to an MAT program with the goal of earning your teaching certificate, you will have to choose which level of education you want to teach. Your choices will vary, depending on the program, but they typically include early childhood education, elementary education, and secondary education. Some programs also offer training for teaching English as a second language. Most secondary education programs also offer the opportunity to specialize in a particular subject, such as history, social studies, or language arts.

In addition to the coursework, MAT students who are seeking a teaching certificate will need to also complete student teaching (or an internship) at a local school. Depending on the program you are accepted to, your student teaching experience can last anywhere from one school semester to one school year.

What are Some Sites That Can Help Me Learn More About Teaching as a Career?

If you have a bachelor’s degree in something other than education and are interested in pursuing a career in teaching, gather all the information you can about the profession before making your decision to apply for admission to an MAT program.

The internet offers a vast amount of information to educate you on the teaching profession, including university websites, personal blogs of actual teachers, public school websites, and government employment information websites. The links listed below provide this information and more to help answer any questions you may have.

  • Learn about average salaries, employment outlook, and more through The Bureau of Labor Statistics.
  • Pry into the mind of instructional technology and 21st century literature author and educator, David Warlick. Warlick’s blog covers his opinions on and personal experiences in classroom instruction.
  • The Cool Cat Teacher Blog is a blog written by teacher and author Vicki Davis. The blog is meant to inspire and inform teachers, administrators, and parents about educating the current generation of students.
  • Read the Obama Administration’s plan for improving teacher recruitment and preparation here.
  • Visit the TeachersCount website for information on how to become a teacher and to read their blog, authored by seven teachers. TeachersCount is a non-profit organization whose goal is to raise the status of teaching as a profession and provide resources to the education community.

Should I Pursue a Master of Arts in Teaching Online or On Campus?

As far as curriculum is concerned, there really is no difference between the content you cover through conventional classroom coursework and online coursework. The only difference is the method by which you learn (classroom lecture versus PowerPoint notes, face-to-face versus digital). When it comes to assignments, tests, and research projects, earning a master’s degree online is just as difficult as earning a master’s degree on campus. However, taking online classes does provide you with the convenience of learning on your own time; although, there still are deadlines for all class assignments and course completion.

Your MAT coursework will differ depending on whether you already have your teaching credentials or not. Coursework is more extensive for those who need their credentials (those who hold a bachelor’s degree in something other than education). In order to earn your teaching credentials, you will need to take additional courses in education and participate in student teaching.

Because their program coursework is shorter and does not require student teaching, those who already have their teaching credentials can easily earn their MAT degree through a part-time or full-time online program while also teaching full-time.

If you are currently working full-time in a profession other than teaching and would like to become a teacher, a part-time online program may be a convenient way to earn your MAT degree while continuing to work. Keep in mind, however, that you will eventually need to take part in student teaching (an internship) in order to gain your teaching credentials. This may require you to take time off from your job or even require you to quit your job, depending on how long the internship is.

If you are a recent college graduate or someone who does not necessarily need to keep their current job while they attend school, you should consider earning your MAT degree through a full-time, campus-based program. This will allow you to complete the program in around one year, which will introduce you to the teaching workforce sooner than the part-time program would. You will also have the opportunity to meet many people (department, faculty, and career center staff) who may be able to help you find a teaching position after graduation.

How Long Will it Take Me to Complete a Master of Arts in Teaching?

Most full-time programs for current teachers take around one year to complete. There are two types of programs, however; one for students who already have their teaching credentials (certified teachers) and one for students who do not. The MAT program for students who need to earn their credentials is a little more extensive and includes additional courses in education and a student teaching internship. This program can take anywhere from 18 months to two years to complete, depending on the program.

Will a Master of Arts in Teaching Qualify Me for School Counseling or Administration Positions?

No. The MAT program strictly focuses on the teaching profession. If you are interested in school counseling or school administration positions, you should attain a Master of Education Degree.

Where Can I Get Information about Federal Financial Aid and Scholarships?

To apply for federal financial aid, visit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) website. You should apply for student aid as soon as you apply for acceptance to an MAT program. Loans and grants are given out as they receive applications, so the longer you wait to apply for aid, the less amount of money will be left to give. Do not worry if you end up not attending school; applying for federal aid is free, and you do not have to accept the money. However, once you have accepted it, you will be obligated to start making payments on the loan after you graduate. Keep in mind that, with the exception of the *TEACH Grant Program, federal grants (aid that does not have to be repaid) are only available for undergraduate students; graduate students cannot apply for federal grants.

The TEACH Grant is only awarded to those graduate students who agree to work as a full-time teacher at a low-income public or private elementary or secondary school in a high-need subject. You must work at least four years at one of these schools. You have eight calendar years after graduation to complete these four years. If you renege on this agreement, the full amount of your TEACH grant will be converted into a loan. Once you have been accepted into an MAT program, contact your college’s financial aid department to see if they participate in the TEACH grant program, as not all college’s offer this grant to their students. For more information on the TEACH grant program, click here.

To help lighten your tuition and loan burden, you should consider applying for scholarships. There are a few scholarships available for MAT students. In addition to scholarships, there are also some fellowship opportunities available. Much like the TEACH grant program, a fellowship often requires something from you in exchange for aid. Fellowships are privately funded. More helpful scholarship and fellowship information can be found on, which provides a free scholarship search. By just answering a few questions about yourself, you can be connected to dozens of available scholarship applications.

Search Masters of Arts in Teaching Degrees